How Much Do Moving Companies Cost?
Calculate The Cost of Local & National Moving Companies
Find out how much a moving company will cost in your area. Use the form below to be contacted by up to 6 moving companies for quotes, or see the table below.
Buyers Guide: Moving Company Costs
Navigating the world of moving companies and their associated costs can be a daunting task. In this comprehensive buyers guide, we will address various aspects of moving company costs, including long distance movers, local movers, and packing costs. Use the bookmarks provided below to quickly navigate to the relevant sections:
Long Distance Movers
Long distance moves typically involve moving across state lines or over 100 miles. The cost of long distance movers is determined by a variety of factors:
- Weight: The total weight of your belongings will greatly impact the cost. Most long distance movers charge based on the weight of your items.
- Distance: The farther you’re moving, the more expensive it will be. Movers generally charge per mile for long distance moves.
- Additional services: Extra services like packing, unpacking, or storage will increase your overall moving cost.
On average, long distance moves can cost anywhere from $2,400 to $7,800, depending on the factors mentioned above.
Local moves are generally shorter distances, usually within the same state and under 100 miles. The cost of local movers is typically calculated based on:
- Hourly rate: Most local movers charge an hourly rate, which varies depending on the company and location. This rate typically ranges from $25 to $50 per hour, per mover.
- Number of movers: The more movers required, the higher the cost. A standard local move requires two to four movers.
- Time: The total time required to complete the move, including packing, loading, transporting, and unloading, will impact the cost.
A typical local move can cost anywhere from $700 to $2,200, depending on the size of your home and the factors listed above.
Professional packing services can save you time and stress, but they come at an additional cost. The price of packing services varies based on the following factors:
- Size of your home: The larger your home, the more packing materials and labor required, which increases the cost.
- Amount of belongings: The more items you have to pack, the higher the cost. You can save money by decluttering before the move.
- Type of packing materials: Specialty packing materials for fragile or valuable items may increase the cost.
- Labor: The cost of labor will depend on the number of packers and the time it takes to pack your belongings.
On average, packing services can cost between $500 and $2,000, depending on the factors mentioned above. To save on packing costs, you can consider packing your belongings yourself or enlisting friends and family to help.
There may be additional costs associated with your move that you should be aware of:
- Insurance: Basic moving insurance is typically included in your quote, but it may not cover the full value of your belongings. You can purchase additional insurance for more comprehensive coverage.
- Specialty items: Moving large, heavy, or delicate items like pianos, pool tables, or artwork may require additional fees.
- Storage: If you need temporary storage for your belongings during the move, you’ll need to factor in the cost of a storage unit.
- Access issues: If your home is difficult to access (e.g., narrow streets, no parking, or many stairs), you may be charged additional fees.
Cost Saving Tips
Here are some tips to help you save money on your move:
- Declutter: The fewer items you need to move, the lower the cost. Sell, donate, or dispose of any items you no longer need before the move.
- Off-peak moving: Plan your move during off-peak times, like weekdays or outside of summer months, to get better rates.
- Compare quotes: Obtain quotes from multiple moving companies and compare their services and prices to choose the best fit for your needs and budget.
- DIY packing: Save on packing costs by packing your belongings yourself or enlisting the help of friends and family.
- Reuse packing materials: Save money on packing materials by reusing boxes, bubble wrap, and packing paper from previous moves or friends and family.
By thoroughly researching moving company costs and following these cost-saving tips, you can make an informed decision and find the best moving company for your needs and budget.
How Much Do Movers Charge Per Hour?
Moving companies typically charge an hourly rate for local moves, with the rate depending on the company and location. On average, the hourly rate ranges from $40 to $75 per hour, per mover. Keep in mind that the total cost will also depend on the number of movers required and the time it takes to complete the move, including packing, loading, transporting, and unloading.
What Day is Cheapest to Hire Movers?
The cheapest days to hire movers are typically weekdays, as weekends and holidays are in higher demand and often come with higher rates. In particular, moving during the middle of the week, such as Tuesday or Wednesday, is likely to be more affordable. Additionally, consider planning your move during off-peak seasons like fall or winter, as moving companies tend to offer lower rates during these periods compared to the busy summer months.
How Much do you Tip Movers?
Tipping movers is not mandatory, but it’s a way to show appreciation for their hard work. The amount you tip can vary based on the quality of service, the complexity of the move, and personal preference. A common guideline is to tip between $4 and $5 per hour, per mover. For example, if you have a team of three movers working for eight hours, you can consider tipping each mover $30 to $40, resulting in a total tip of $90 to $120 for the entire crew. However, you can adjust the tip amount based on your satisfaction with their service and any other factors you deem important.
Estimated Moving Cost in Popular Cities:
|Local Moving |
|New York, NY||$85/Hour - $103/hour||$4,901 - $11,642|
|Los Angeles, CA||$81/Hour - $94/hour||$4,996 - $11,502|
|Chicago, IL||$86/Hour - $95/hour||$4,852 - $11,006|
|Houston, TX||$77/Hour - $89/hour||$4,900 - $9,002|
|Phoenix, AZ||$79/Hour - $88/hour||$4,933 - $10,200|
|Philadelphia, PA||$81/Hour - $90/hour||$4,920 - $10,325|
|San Antonio, TX||$75/Hour - $90/hour||$3,920 - $9,400|
|San Diego, CA||$86/Hour - $95/hour||$4,900 - $10,325|
|Dallas, TX||$80/Hour - $88/hour||$4,300 - $9,400|
|San Jose, CA||$82/Hour - $96/hour||$4,875 - $10,600|
|Austin, TX||$71/Hour - $91/hour||$4,500 - $9,000|
|Jacksonville, FL||$73/Hour - $87/hour||$3,872 - $11,500|
|San Francisco, CA||$80/Hour - $99/hour||$4,601 - $11,700|
|Columbus, OH||$77/Hour - $96/hour||$4,899 - $10,701|
|Indianapolis, IN||$77/Hour - $89/hour||$4,750 - $10,821|
|Fort Worth, TX||$70/Hour - $88/hour||$3,998 - $8,889|
|Charlotte, NC||$74/Hour - $87/hour||$3,870 - $10,100|
|Seattle, WA||$82/Hour - $95/hour||$4,520 - $11,275|
|Denver, CO||$77/Hour - $96/hour||$4,637 - $9,100|
|El Paso, TX||$79/Hour - $95/hour||$4,803 - $9,275|
|Washington, DC||$88/Hour - $99/hour||$4,900 - $11,850|
|Boston, MA||$83/Hour - $98/hour||$4,882 - $9,995|
|Detroit, MI||$80/Hour - $94/hour||$4,500 - $9,444|
|Nashville, TN||$74/Hour - $88/hour||$3,850 - $9,775|
|Memphis, TN||$76/Hour - $93/hour||$3,999 - $9,778|
|Portland, OR||$80/Hour - $95/hour||$4,403 - $11,200|
|Oklahoma City, OK||$79/Hour - $92/hour||$4,111 - $10,000|
|Las Vegas, NV||$81/Hour - $90/hour||$4,710 - $11,500|
|Louisville, KY||$75/Hour - $89/hour||$4,400 - $9,825|
|Baltimore, MD||$80/Hour - $97/hour||$4,226 - $10,600|
|Milwaukee, WI||$70/Hour - $79hour||$3,771 - $7,199|
|Albuquerque, NM||$72/Hour - $86/hour||$3,777 - $9,732|
|Tucson, AZ||$75/Hour - $89/hour||$3,936 - $9,777|
|Fresno, CA||$82/Hour - $92/hour||$4,999 - $12,650|
|Sacramento, CA||$88/Hour - $96/hour||$4,999 - $12,001|
|Mesa, AZ||$79/Hour - $89/hour||$4,201 - $11,009|
|Kansas City, MO||$80/Hour - $93/hour||$4,300 - $10,885|
|Atlanta, GA||$75/Hour - $92/hour||$3,980 - $10,003|
|Long Beach, CA||$79/Hour - $96/hour||$4,420 - $11,000|
|Colorado Springs, CO||$72/Hour - $88/hour||$4,990 - $10,000|
|Raleigh, NC||$77/Hour - $89/hour||$4,881 - $9,021|
|Miami, FL||$72/Hour - $90/hour||$7,566- $10,200|
|Virginia Beach, VA||$80/Hour - $92/hour||$4,758 - $8,389|
|Omaha, NE||$77/Hour - $88/hour||$4,300 - $9,771|